I offer guidance, design, and implementation in the web space. I am currently building my own education platform,
which leaves me with about 20 hours a week open for new projects or long-term work. (I’ve taken a part-time contract – but call me about other projects)
What I can do for you
- Help you further define your goals
- Do you want to tell people about a new business or service?
- Do you want more people to visit your current business?
- Do you want to reach a new market?
- Do you want to audit and streamline your marketing system?
- Do you want to increase profits?
- Do you want to build a brand for your company?
- Would you like to automate workflow and tasks?
- Show you how the web can help you achieve those goals
- Explore how the web fits in: research, user-testing
- Define the steps to get to those goals: content auditing, project planning
- Put those steps in action: content-strategy, user-experience, prototyping, layout, user-interface, more user-testing, creative direction, project management
- Design patterns, live style-guides, system architecture, content management systems, team building, brochures, content portals, applications, and whatever other buzzwords you can muster up. (It’s all really just Design)
- Help you decide what platforms and services are right for you before you invest 30 hours jumping between ‘free’ website builders
- I can often save you thousands of dollars in a free 15-minute phone call
- Help your current teamwork more efficiently and be happier doing it
- In my experience, everyone wants to do their best
- Help them do that – by providing clean, goal-oriented Design workflows
- Help you hire a smart and reliable internal team
- If you’re a startup, you’ll need someone to help build a foundation before you start hiring for creative roles
- Hiring people is difficult. I’m not a recruiter. I’m an actual team leader who knows how to organize strengths and strengthen weaknesses
- I’ve seen startups spend millions of dollars hiring their team – only to find out that they weren’t the right team
- I can help you choose the right people at the right time – and keep things streamlined and agile
- Crazy new idea: Have you thought about hiring someone on salary part-time?
- There seems to be this one ‘normal’ way to be employed, but – I think it’s time to entertain some other options
- I see a lot of companies who need a semi-complex system set up and hire an internal team to maintain it. I can set that up and teach your non-technical team to run it – and I’ll be standing by to do the heavy lifting when necessary
- I can aim my research and development work towards your field and keep you on the cutting edge for a fraction of the cost
What I’m up to right now
I am building my own education platform called Perpetual Education. Its first course is a Goal-driven Design course called “Design for The Web.” The course will be 6 months+ in length and will aim for a price-point between online platforms and in-person boot camps. I’m currently running an alpha set of students. This takes everything I’ve learned about Design and The Web – and distills it down into a linear learning platform.
I am also advising a startup focused on breaking the cycle of poverty by arranging one-on-one tutoring and an online GED (General Education Diploma) program.
For the last 8 years, I’ve been obsessed with learning everything I can about the web. My most recent roles were Senior developer at PXL agency working with film industry brands like Paramount Pictures and Dreamworks Animation. Previous to that I worked as Senior Product Designer for a dietary supplement company called ChromaDex.
I’ve worked with many of LA’s fine digital/creative teams on clients projects for Fox, AAA, Gap, and other well-known brands. Before I started consulting and contracting in the web space, I received my BFA from The California College of Arts and Crafts. In-between those things, I played in a few bands and worked at a wonderful slow food restaurant.
I enjoy learning about how things work. I constantly take classes to further my education and I meet with a mentor once a week. My greatest strengths are learning and teaching, as evidenced by my CliftonStrengths report. I spend a fair amount of time answering questions on Quora and StackOverflow – and tutoring people on CodeMentor. I also have a Discord server for CSS. You can join here.
I have spent most of my life learning about Art and practice, Design and implementation, and those things have turned into a system of guidance. I’ve learned almost everything I need to know to singlehandedly build full-scale applications for the web. However, I realize that I don’t want to be a full-time web developer at a tech company. Instead, I want to help you achieve your goals – while I continue learning and teaching, which are my goals and passions.
How to contact me
- Schedule a < 20-minute meeting here
- If you’re feeling spontaneous – you can just call me (213) 373-4808, and there’s a chance I will be in-between tasks/meetings.
- You can email me email@example.com
- I am @sheriffderek in most social arenas – and you can always take a look at my LinkedIn profile.